Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Recent Reading

Just finished reading the script for the movie FREQUENCY by Toby Emmerich.

I liked it.

I remember seeing FREQUENCY in the theater when it came out in 2000 and found it to be entertaining as well. For the record, Emmerich is currently Head of Production at New Line Cinema. He also happens to be a very prolific producer and wrote the script for the recent New Line release THE LAST MIMZY. I admire Emmerich -- he seems more genuine (and more creative) than a lot of Hollywood executive types.

I also re-read NOTTING HILL by Richard Curtis and EL LABERINTO DEL FAUNO by Guillermo del Toro. NOTTING HILL is really great but EL LABERINTO feels like it lost something, style-wise, in the translation. I'd love to read it in del Toro's native Spanish.

I plan to read THE FUGITIVE next. Second Acts are notoriously difficult to write (in nearly every medium) and several screenwriting teachers have recommended reading and/or studying THE FUGITIVE in order to see how a good writer handles that treacherous "middle part" of a story. I remember liking the movie a great deal and I certainly don't recall there being any really slow parts in the film, so I'm excited to get started . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger MisterZoobadoo said...

what the frak? Two postings from Rocky in recent days? you're making me look bad, dude ...

3:58 PM  
Blogger pbcbstudios said...

you guys are both slackers in the blogger world!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

yay, Roch is back!
Hey, I hope to read more of your stuff scriptwise. Drop me a few lines sometime.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home