Monday, November 12, 2007

The Dialogue

I've been watching an extremely inspiring series of DVDs called THE DIALOGUE: LEARNING FROM THE MASTERS. A buddy of mine suggested I check them out some time ago but I've only just recently seen volumes one and two show up on netflix.

If you're at all interested in how movies get made, I highly recommend them.

There are (currently) 27 discs in the series and each one features an interview with an A-list screenwriter or screenwriting team. The scribes chat very casually with an interviewer about the craft of screenwriting and about their own individual process, but also manage to slip in the occasional story about how they got started or what it's like working in Hollywood. Very interesting and very, very informative.

Unlike other profile-type interviews with filmmakers, the discs in this series have managed to keep me engaged all the way through. Each one is between 80 and 90 minutes long and the host, Mike DeLuca, keeps things moving without too many interruptions. In fact, DeLuca is a big reason why I enjoy them so much (in addition to being a movie fanatic, DeLuca has been President of Production for New Line Cinema, Dreamworks and Sony and has worked as a screenwriter, producer and/or executive on films like SE7EN, BOOGIE NIGHTS, ZATHURA, DARK CITY, FREDDY'S NIGHTMARE and GHOST RIDER to name a few). DeLuca's bedside manner comes across as low-key, natural and entertaining.

I've seen three discs so far (Paul Haggis, Nia Vardalos and Stuart Beattie) and will likely purchase the Stuart Beattie one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kitty said...

I watched a few clips on the link you provided and it looks like and interesting and useful series.
I hope Blockbuster Online has some of these.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Rochelle Smith said...

I hope you can find them. In my opinion, this series of discs is better than the Director's series of documentaries that came out a while back.

I really want to watch the Susannah Grant one (and the Max Adams one when it comes out . . .)

Let me know what you think!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

I bought a DVD, "The Century of Cinema: A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies."
Not finished watching it, but I've learned a lot about movies from it so far.

How have you been?

1:47 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Hughes said...

Dear Rochelle,

This will come across as a bit freakish but it may touch some good nerves.

I spoke to your mother in the parking lot of the Cotton Exchange a couple weeks ago after taking my daughter to the German Cafe. I am a stay at home father - an escapee (set dresser of 17 years) of the film industry. My wife is presently working on a "show" (she is a Production Accountant) titled "BOLDEN!" She is still wrapping the show... they finished shooting last September. I left the film industry two years ago to stay home with my daughter and pursue to what I thought would be a more stable and predictable career as an Appraiser.

Anyhow, the whole reason your mother and I were talking to each other (up to that point I didn't know her) was because my daughter, Sophie (4 years old), was admiring a Donald Duck sticker on her [your mother] car. I explained that Sophie had recently visited Disney World and that she was obsessed with the Haunted Mansion. Your mother then related to me the tale of your career there (first at the park and then as an animator). I then told her the tale of my early aspirations to be a Disney effects animator. She then explained to me that is precisely what you did. Intriguing! I thought to myself...

I briefly explained what my plan had been... Get a BA at West Virginia State (which actually had animation) and further my studies at Cal Arts. At this point and time, it seemed that American Animators were an endangered species. Everything was Japanese or Korean... and Cal Arts was soooo expensive... I relented to what I deemed reality and let go my dream. I later worked on a Disney Channel project and experienced what horrible company it was. This truly vanquished all dreamy thoughts I had had of being a Disney Animator. When Roy Disney mounted the ousting of Eisner, I realized that the Disney I worked for wasn't the Disney it had been.... all was forgiven.

At this point, Sophie was tugging on my jacket. I had exhausted her little four year old sense of patience. I politely closed our conversation and your mother stated your alias name (Rocky). That was that.

This evening I was checking something with my IMDB listing and tried looking you up... well here I am (after google). I am not sure if I had a definitive point to make but I felt the coincidence of meeting your mother, whom shared your interesting story which paralleled my own in someways, was a carte blanche, so to speak, to babble something to you.

Respectfully yours,

Jeffrey A. Hughes

PS - While working in LA once, I went to visit an old colleague in Glendale, he's a draper (we worked together on The Patriot). We were lounging in the back yard when his neighbor visited. She was a former Disney Animator... and I can't remember the details (a few years ago) but it seemed that she started during the 70's or when the old nine were still there. Anyhow, I thought I would share.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Rochelle Smith said...

Hello, Jeffrey and thanks for writing!

That's a pretty amazing story! It would appear that we share many of the same passions and priorities. Thanks for sharing.

If you'd ever like to chat more about the industry, feel free to leave another comment here. Include your email address so I can write you back privately (I won't publish/post that comment on the blog - that way your contact information remains private).

Best of luck to you and your family,


r.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home